When studying the different Civil Engineering Topics it is important to have a Study Guide to keep you forced on what topics to review and to explain the theory. These guides are laid out to cover every topic on the NCEES outline.
They are organized with an introduction, discussion, practice problems, and then a page where you can write down other problems you solved in this area of study and references used. This is important to keep you organized so during the test you can find everything.
This book covers the Construction Engineering material on the PE Exam which are the following topics.
TOPIC I: Project Planning
- Quantity Take Off Method
- Cost Estimating
- Project Schedules
- Activity Identification and sequencing
TOPIC II: Means and Methods
- Construction Loads
- Construction methods
- Temporary structures and facilities
TOPIC VIII: Site Development
- Excavation and embankment (e.g., cut and fill)
- Construction site layout and control
- Temporary and permanent soil control
- Impact of construction on adjacent facilities
- Safety (e.g., construction, roadside, work zone)
This book covers the Geotechnical Engineering material on the PE Exam which are the following topics.
TOPIC III: Soil Mechanics
- Lateral Earth Pressure
- Soil Consolidation
- Effective and Total Stresses
- Bearing Capacity
- Foundation Settlement
- Slope Stability
TOPIC VII: Structural Mechanics
- Retaining Walls
TOPIC VII: Materials
- Soil Classification and boring log interpretation
- Soil Properties
- Material test methods and spec conformance
This book covers the Transportation Engineering material on the PE Exam which are the following topics.
TOPIC VI: Geometrics
- Basic Circular Curve Elements
- Basic Vertical Curve Elements
- Traffic Volume